Below are the Brimbox downloads. This page includes:
- The Brimbox Program
- The latest Brimbox Update
- A sample report (works with sample data)
- A sample module template (for constructing a module)
- A sample interface (for constructing a interface)
- A data installer (for migrating data)
- A text version of the GPL GNU v3 license
Please add yourself to our mailing list.
Follow us on twitter @brimbox.
Installation Instructions: http://www.brimbox.com/written-installation-instructions/.
Brimbox Release v1.5
This is Brimbox Release 5, called v1.5, a major update and reconstruction of the Brimbox Web Database Interface. It is the intent to make all updates going forward seemless. However there were some things that needed hard changes in this version. One thing that did not change is the data table, that has been firm from the get go. This is a summary of the changes, not all changes are described here.
- Security was improved and solidified, there is now a thoughtful security scheme. An ip column was added for limiting user access, this will be implemented fully in a future release. There is now an Admin module called “Interface Enable” for choosing a custom security scheme and exploring the header array information.
- XML data storage of meta data was replaced by JSON data storage. This caused major changes to almost every module and many standard functions. The functions that used XML were not deprecated, they were removed and altered. This will affect custom modules which will have to be redesigned and updated.
- The controller (or index file) was altered to accommodate custom interfaces, previously only the standard interface could be customized and there were serious customization and improvement limitations. The header and global arrays which are used as globals in Brimbox were also organized and made formal.
- Multiple structural changes were made to the “Manage Modules” module allowing for quicker installation and updating of modules. Passwords were added as a confirmation action and functionality was put into place to allow whole interfaces to be installed without any code changes.
- Finally changes were made to the versioning and font schemes and the program was put into a public repository. The program version is no longer determined by the year and commit number, the more standard way of simply counting versions up is now implemented. And the program now defaults to Arial, the most widely supported web font.
This is the procedure for updating an existing install. If version 2014.4.398 is being used a file is provided to take a backup in the format of the new database. You must be logged in as an admin and this will create a backup with the password “Update123” (this can be changed in the code).
- First login as an admin and take a backup using the PHP file in update_from_backup_to_1.5.zip from your existing installation. Install this file in the same directory as your
- Then install a fresh version of Brimbox in another directory with a new database. You can later swap default directories by changing directory names. You will want to update
bb_config.phpwith the new database and user credentials, and remove some of the items that are now in
- Goto the “Backup and Restore” tab and restore the
users_tabletables from the backup you took. Do not restore the
modules_table. Note that this will restore all the old user credentials including the admin credentials, so you will need the previous administration passwords.
- Check your validation types. If you have custom validation types you will need to get them working with the new install, and they will need to be enabled in the new module “Interface Enable.” You do not want to use the new install until your data is being validated.
- Rework all your modules and reports with the updated functions, you can compare the old functions to the new ones in the documentation. DO NOT upgrade your database unless your are planning on upgrading your custom changes.
Install Package – v1.5
Update Package – v1.5.1
This update fixes one small bug and is intended for upgrade from the v1.5 install package, do not use this update for versions prior to v1.5.
Sample Module Template
GPL GNU v3 text file
Please add yourself to our mailing list.